Friday, November 20, 2009

A Mother's Heart in War . . . Day 39, July 15, 2004

The Friday entries of "The Powder Room" are currently from a journal which I started when we found out our son was going to be deployed with the United States Marine Corps to Iraq. The journal was not written with the intention that it would ever be read by anyone else, much less published in any way. There are feelings in the journal that are deep and true and I wasn't sure at first I wanted to share them. But there are many sons and daughters still serving in our armed forces and I think it might be good to share "a mother's heart" with you what those other mothers may be facing. The entries are shared as a tribute to my son and his service to our country, and to all those sons and daughters who continue to willingly place themselves in harm's way for the protection and preservation of liberty.

Day 39 July 15, 2004

Noah came home for July 4th! What a wonderful surprise -- to hear those keys clanking on the kitchen counter -- to see that handsome face and those laughing eyes! As it turned out, Aimee and Emmie were in on the surprise all along!

We had a wonderful time with Noah being home, but my favorite was when we all went bowling. Noah seemed so relaxed and free. I saw so much of the "old" Noah and it was very reassuring.

The good-bye again wasn't difficult. I think there were several reasons for that. First of all, it was five o'clock in the morning and we were all just too sleepy. Second, I was leaving for work myself a little after that and didn't have time to dwell on it. But the biggest reason is that Noah told us he would most likely be home for ten days at the end of the month. Now the goodbye at the end of that visit will be different! We will know then that he will soon be leaving the country and headed for war. Then our communication with him will be very slim indeed.
Not that we have heardmuch from him since he went to Camp Lejuene. We have heard from Aimee that he has been working eighteen hour days in the field, so that accounts for why we haven't heard from him. But in the military, no news is good news.

Our trust is in the Lord, His way is perfect. Whether we hear from our son or not.

Yesterday, one of the doctors at work that we don't see very often asked me about Noah's picture on a button on my jacket. I told him where Noah was and where he was going, and that we were trusting the Lord to keep him safe. The doctor then told me that he would be praying for him (as many people do), but then he did something that really surprised me. He stared intently at the picture (as if he were memorizing the face) and closing his eys he stood perfectly still in front of me for many, many seconds. He said nothing, but I had the distinct impression he was praying for Noah right then.

I wish our servicemen had some clue how many people pray for them each day and support them.

No comments: